[Discussion] Ban policy discussion

For the purpose of discussing next steps and Force Academy 2020 (FA2020).
William
[Discussion] Ban policy discussion

Post by William » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:26 pm

As per the chat in Discord,

What kind of system do members of the Force Academy want to see in place for the policy of FA:NG?

Temporary bans? Permanent bans? Some other form of punitive or even rehabilitation-based system?
Authenticity, Passion, Curiosity
Good vibes and victory

Manu

Re: [Discussion] Ban policy discussion

Post by Manu » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Depends.

Spambots = permaban.

Humans = ban only if committing a crime. Trolls die out if you don't feed them.
“Enlightenment is a destructive process.” -Adyashanti”

Raziel
Discord:Raziel

Post by Raziel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:31 pm

I'd say, have them only be able to access a certain channel or channels. For a set amount of time, based on the "crime." Could also make a role that would handle that for you so you dont have to go through every forum and deny permissions. You could even have a repeal forum set up in the IC so that anyone with said role could try to appeal for an unban. Would even be able to transfer that to discord as well.
Lord Raziel
Member of the Dark Council
Shadow Adept

Amitiel

Post by Amitiel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 pm

best forums I've seen take this approach

1st offense warning

2nd offense 3-6 month ban

3rd offense permanent ip ban

racist/homophobic/sexist(obvious joking aside) 1 warning 2nd offense perma ip ban

Trolls- burned, decapitated, pissed on hit with a ball bat then banned, no warning instant perma ip ban

spammers= instant ip perma ban

Admins on most forums i've been on generally oversee technical side and chose 1-2 mods per forum/sub forum, there is no ic type deals, there is no deliberation there is no meaningless debate, the mods have full authority to act as they see fit, The admin is only there as a check. If you choose good mods you dont have an issue with any of the above.

If your mods are well pussies that are afraid to ban someone that is obviously causing issues ex: cough*mortose*cough and take 20 months to do something that should be done in five minutes, then you have issues.

Teamliquid(gaming site) has one of the best moderation teams I've ever seen. I can see how people want offenders to...change, and I'm fine with that personally I think people do need time. But when it comes to obvious things, the ability and will to act instantly should be there.

When you know that a heavy weight douche nozzle is going to continue being a heavy weight douche nozzle, its much easier to just take care of it and get it over with. Its better then annoying the shit out of everyone with a e-court trial
Last edited by Amitiel on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teach what you know, regardless of when you have learned it, teach what you learned yesterday sagely, as if you have known it all your life, and teach what you have known for decades with enthusiasm, as if you learned it only yesterday

EldritchOmen

Post by EldritchOmen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:12 pm

I think that making a distinction between a temp ban and a permaban is largely pointless. A person who is banned for 3 months is never coming back in my experience. And if they DO come back, they probably are looking to take their pound of flesh rather than asking forgiveness.

Bans are probably necessary in some way. More importantly what creates a bannable offense? It seems to me that it would be difficult to create a specific set of offenses, particularly when some people may use ‘starting drama’ (for lack of a better term) as a learning tool when getting someone out of their comfort zone is necessary.

Given the choice to create a best option, I’d say a group of people in charge would have to take everything on a case by case basis and determine if if something requires punitive action. On a first offense a person would be given a warning with a description of WHAT the problem was and a better way it could have been approached. Second offense they are informed they WILL be banned and have a limited amount of time to explain themselves and appeal (during which time their access to things would be limited to stop someone with no intention to appeal from just creating more trouble.)

So that’s where I am at, off the top of my head.

Satelle
Discord:Pathogen

Post by Satelle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Are bans intended to help the community, or the person being banned? Can be 'both' but parts of a ban policy speak to either/or.
Lady Satelle
Leader of the Dark Jedi at the Force Academy
New Dark Aspect Home

Kronos

Post by Kronos » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:32 pm

I agree with Amitiel.

This isn’t a site run by a group of crazed dictators with inflated egos - nobody is getting banned for having different opinions.

If someone is banned, there is probably a very good reason for it. People grow, but they don’t change.